Friday, February 8, 2019

2018: Three BIG Announcements from the GSTC!!!



THE CLUB EMAIL

"Success usually comes to those who are too busy 
to be looking for it."

Henry David Thoreau 
 
1.

GSTC SIGNS WITH NEW BALANCE 
After four years with adidas, the Garden State Track Club is excited to announce its new relationship with New Balance.  Above is the high-performance uniform prototype as designed by the Leadership Team's Uniform Committee.

Thanks to a generous offering to support both its elites and general membership, the club's new name, as voted by the Leadership Team, will be GSTC New Balance as of 1/1/2018.


2.

7th ANNUAL
GSTC GALA

We will have all details ready to be announced in one week, as our keynote speaker had a few last minute changes in his/her schedule.



That said, please plan on joining us for a seventh year of fun, celebrating another awesome year, and great food.

We will also induct Ken Goglas into the GSTC Hall of Fame, seen above winning 2013 GSTC vs CPTC XC Dual Meet in the now defunct Get the Gorilla 5k.

3.

2018 CLUB DUES

 
2018 GSTC Spring Race Schedule

3/11 USATF NJ 12K ALL DIVISION (TENTATIVE) 

3/25 Garden State 10 Miler (GSTC EVENT)

4/08 Indian Trails 20K All DIVISION 04/28 Clinton Country Run 15K All DIVISION 

5/05 Newport 10K OPEN MEN & WOMEN 

5/19 Our House 4 Miler ALL DIVISION 

5/28 Ridgewood Run 10K MASTERS MEN & WOMEN 

6/10 New Jersey Road Mile Championship (GSTC EVENT)

6/24 Lager Run 5K OPEN MEN & WOMEN 



Official USATF-NJ 
2017 Grand Prix Team Scores
776 Garden State Track Club
634 Clifton Road Runners
569 Shore Athletic Club
Men 10th at USATF 
XC National Champs
Izewski Leads Way to Second Best Team Finish in Club History

The open men had an outstanding day at the biggest USATF team event of the year, the USATF Club XC National Championships.  An ever-growing race both in size and competition, the men finished 10th overall out of eight-eight teams.  With the first seven teams comprised of mostly semi-professionals or professionals who run for a living, finishing in the top ten is always a big accomplishment.

As expected, it was a super-tight team finish.  The Georgetown Running Club, who finished 8th, and the Cal Coast Track Club, who finished 13th, had just sixty-five seconds separating them.  

As he has all year, Josh Izewski led the way for the team, finishing 36th overall in 30:49.  Izewski may have finished a bit higher, but he had some bagging pains after several races in the latter month of the season.  Matt Gillette, the club's #2 man for the third year in a row who qualified for the Olympic Trials Marathon in 2016, finished 45th in 31:06.  The third man was big Aaron Leskow, in his first club nationals, who finished a very respectable 70th in 31:50.  

Tim Ball was the big surprise finished, as he rolled to a 92nd place as the 4th man in 31:35.  Ball, with excellent PRs from Notre Dame and Portland, only started training in late September.  The final scoring finisher was Kyle Price, who came in at #141 at 32:41.  How do you define team dedication?  It might best be explained by Price catching a 5am flight from Boston the day of the race and, hours later,  finishing as the team's #5 man.


B Team Finishes 39th
Rathbun Paces Group to Big Finish
Jon Sewnig (second to left) brings "awkward bedhead backward lean" to a whole new level. 

The men's B Team continued a long-standing tradition of excellence, as for the sixth straight year, the GSTC has entered a competitive second team at the national cross country championship. 

While 42nd place out of eight-eight teams may not seem too impressive, consider they beat Philly's best team (Breakneck TC), Seattle's best team (Seattle RC), New York City's top team (Dashing Whippets), and Pennsylvania's traditionally top team (Wold Creek TC), one may have a deeper appreciation for this team performance.

Leading the way was club vice president Steve Rathbun, who perhaps had his finest race of the year, finishing in 175th in 33:10.  Just behind him were teammates Evan Ward, Darrel Gooding, and Jon Sewnig, who finished 180th, 207th and 216th, respectively.  Will Appman was the team's final scorer in 252nd, covering the 10k in 34:27.


Women Finish 26th
Fifty two teams toed the line at the USATF National XC Club Championships out in Lexington, and the GSTC ladies finished exactly in the middle, at 26th place with 610 points.

In her first club championships, Kate Scott cracked the top 75, finishing in 22:00 despite not a full season of training.  Aimee Chegwidden was just a few spots behinf, in 97th place, finishing in 22:22, while Emily Rosario capped her PR-filled season as the #3 runner in 22:42.

Nicola Hallenborg and Shannon McKenna ran 23:58 and 24:13, respectively, to finish as the 4-5 scorers of the team.



Masters 40s Finish 16th
The GSTC masters 40s team, plagued by injury and aging joints, finished 16th at the USATF National Championships.  The old adage, "No team finishes well when Chuck is the #1 man" continued to ring true, as the team slipped from the two top-ten finishes earlier this year in the 5k road and 5k XC masters national championships.

After Chuck's 37:07, Jason Timochko was the #2 at 37:47 with the ageless wonder, Gary Leaman, coming in at 38:15.  Dave Ferruggia, making a very last minute decision to fly out to Kentucky, was the 4th man in 38:33.  Joe Pawlish (40:33) and Chris Rinaldi (41:50) were the final two finishers for the crew.

This marks only the second time the club has competed a 40s team at nationals.  In 2014, the group finished 15th at Lehigh.  Also of great significance is that, with this defeat over Jason, Chuck now brings their exciting, career rivalry to a 3-3 tie.    


Masters 40s Finish 8th
in USATF National Team Grand Prix

Forty-five masters 40s team competed in the 2017 USATF National Masters Grand Prix, and the GSTC finished eighth overall thanks to a 3rd place in Syracuse, 6th place in Boston (pictured above), and a 15th place in Kentucky.


Top 10 Standings: USATF Men's 40s National Grand Prix
410 Cal Coast
330 Central MA Striders
300 Atlanta TC
290 Boston Athletic Association
290 Willow Street
270 Bowerman TC
260 TNT International
140 Garden State TC
100 Genesee Valley Striders
100 LRC Racing



2018 Club Nationals:
Spokane, WA


It won't be as sunny and warm as Tallahassee, but it will be one heckuva adventure come race day on December 8!

Club XC nationals is an event open to all runners, but we recommend men (16:30 5k) and women (20:00 5k) be able to run these standards to fit in with the race.

The more people the better...start planning today!

GSTC History at 
USATF Club XC Nationals

The GSTC finished its 7th consecutive year at club cross country nationals two weeks ago.  After making its first trek to Seattle in 2011, we will return to the great state of Washington in 2018 for the event in Spokane, WA.



2011: Seattle, WA.
Open Men: 15th

2012: Lexington, KY.
Open Men: 20th, 32nd 
Open Women:  14th 

2013: Bend, OR.
Open Men:  19th, 38th 
Open Women:  21st, 34th 

2014: Bethlehem, PA.
Open Men:  19th, 31st, 38th, 56th, 63rd 
Open Women: 13th, 28th 
W40s: 4th
M40s: 15th 

2015: San Francisco, CA.
Open Men:  7th, 30th
Open Women:  15th, 33rd
M50s:  25th 

2016: Tallahassee, FL.
Open Men:  14th, 26th 
Open Women:  23rd 
M50s:  7th 

2017: Lexington, KY.  
Open Men:  10th, 39th
Open Women: 26th 
M40s: 16th 

Around the Clubhouse


Text Conversation
 of the Month #1
#welcometochuckslife
 


Text Conversation 
of the Month #2
#welcometochuckslife


Text Conversation of the Month #3
#welcometochuckslife



Join Strava.  Follow Your Teammates. 
Two big reasons why you should join Strava.

Exhibit A- on the left.  You can engage in provocative, thoughtful dialogue with your teammates about training.

Exhibit B- on right.  You can see what your teammates are doing every day and every week.   Trust us on this one.

Coach's Corner
Tips from GSTC's Team Coach and Olympic Trials Marathon qualifier Josh Izewski

Some helpful tips for a successful first race! 

1. Know The Course - Take note of hills, road conditions, turns, and key spots to remember. From that form a race plan and then visualize yourself executing it successfully. 

2. Relish Anxiety - Being nervous is a good thing, it means you care. Trust in your training and reflect on everything you've accomplished in training. Guaranteed training was way harder than the race. Every runner has anxiety, so embrace it and know it's a part of the sport. 

3. Focus On Yourself - You can only control yourself. Don't worry about what runners are doing or how fast they look. You can be aware of them,but keep yourself front and center.

4. Go Faster Each Mile - Negative split your race. Meaning, start conservatively and gradually increase your pace throughout the race. It feels so much better finishing strong and fast. 

5. Compartmentalize - If you're starting to hurt don't worry about what you've done, and what you have ahead of you. Stay in the moment and create short goals for yourself. Tell yourself, let's get to that next stoplight, or to the top of this hill. This helps take your mind off the hurting and breaks the race into manageable chunks. 

6. Finish Strong - You finish strong everyday in practice so why should anything be different here. Give it all you have, leave it on the course, and you won't have any regrets.





New Jersey Running Spot of the Month
Watchung Reservation
by Chris Rinaldi


Union County (where I've always called "home") has 36 parks that encompass nearly 6,200 acres. Most of us are probably most familiar from running XC races at Warinanco Park; however, there is so much more! The parks cross the gamut from small neighborhood parks to the nearly 2,200-acre Watchung Reservation, the crown jewel of the Parks system and home to Trailside Nature & Science Center, Watchung Stable and The Deserted Village of Feltville. My favorite trail to run is the purple-blazed Watchung Reservation History Trail which is a six-mile trail through various historical points in the reserve. It's not the kind of trail where you'll set any records as it's interspersed with o plenty of rocks, roots and life altering ravines. A little back history is that the original inhabitants of the Watchungs, the Lenape, referred to the mountains as the Wach Unks, or 'high hills'. There is even an entire village (Feltville), that once existed in the woods in the northwestern quadrant that is partially restored.

While out in the reservation, you may come across some interesting happenings. For instance, Stories of paganism and witchcraft surround what is known as the Enchanted or Magic Forest in the ReservationOther tales of hauntings and witchcraft abound in the Reservation, as well as apocryphal tales of black magic and teenage Devil worship. According to one true-crime writer, "throughout the 1970s and up into the 2000s, there were reports of 'devil worship' in the Reservation. There are police reports and newspaper accounts to back that up. So it was all going on in this hot spot of weird, paranormal activity." Some say thirteen witches are buried beneath the stretch of road that runs from Watchung to Scotch Plains by the Reservation. Apparently, even a good kid like me might have spent time back in the 80's goofing around in the "Res".  Hope to see you out on the Trails (map attached)...if you so dare!


NYC's Traffic Court Not Interested in Anis' Explanation 





Kyle's New Korner

On this special edition of the Kyle's Korner we caught up with our top finishers of both the Men's and Women's races from Club Nats in Kentucky, Josh Izewski and Kate Scott. Both are super talented runners and had plenty to share on their experience with the race, their running back ground, and a few other things that make them who they are. Here's your chance to get to know two phenomenal runners a little better!



Kate Scott

Kyle: Hello Kate and thank you for joining us!
Kate: Hi Kyle! I'm happy be here!
Kyle: So being one of our newest members how are enjoying your experience with the club so far?
Kate: I've really enjoyed a lot of aspects of being on the team so far, especially the team trip and race in Kentucky! Sometimes the big group runs are a little far away for me, but I've found a few great running buddies closer to where I live.
Kyle: Yes you made your way to Kentucky and were our top finishing female correct?
Kate: Yes (Was that just a yes or no question)
Kyle: (Yes It's whatever you feel like answering)
How was your first Club Nats?
Kate: In terms of the race, I thought it went well for where I was at with my training. It's only my second race since graduating in May, and also I feel like I was that not that far along in my training. In terms of the trip itself, I had a lot of fun with the team, and I feel like I know people a lot better now!
Kyle: How was the transition out of college running to club running? Did you take some time to relax and now you're getting back into it?
Kate: I didn't take a lot time off running completely, but I took a lot of time off of training. I just basically did easy runs from when I graduated to when I joined the club in October. I really love running, so it was nice for me to keep doing it while taking a break from training and competition after college.
Kyle: Are you excited for indoor season?
Kate: I'm not exactly sure what the club has planned for indoor, but I was thinking more road races (even though it is cold) because I'm definitely way more of a distance person. I might hop in a indoor 5k, but that's as short distance as I'll go. I'm hoping to run longer races now that I'm out of college so I'm working on building up my mileage to race a half.


Kyle: Love half marathons. Good choice. And so you're more of a road warrior. You have a half picked out already?
Kate: I'm more a long distance warrior haha. I love the track too, the races just have to be long enough that everyone doesn't sprint away from me. I don't have a half planned out for sure, but I briefly looked at one on January 28th that may be fun.
Kyle: Would this be your first half?
Kate: Yeah! Well I've run the distance a lot of times before, but never in a race. The longest race I've run is the 10k and it's also my favorite so far.
Kyle: Double or nothing!!
What got you into the longer distance running?
Kate: I'm really into long distance because that's what I like to run, train for and race the most. I've really enjoyed running my whole life. My first time on a track team was in middle school, I was actually on the soccer team but I would see the track team running around and I'd be jealous that I wasn't doing that so I quit soccer and joined track.
Kyle: As have many. And it clearly worked out well for you. What's do you consider one of your biggest running accomplishments thus far?
Kate: A lot of my favorite things about running so far has been the friends I've made and all of the fun I've had doing it.
Kyle: What led you to Bucknell?
Kate: A lot of different things. I really liked the campus, it was a good school academically, and I really liked the team on my recruiting visit.
Kyle: RANDOM QUESTION!!
What's your favorite food?
Kate: I love so many foods it's hard to pick! Strawberries, apples, ice cream, sweet potatoes, Greek yogurt, are just a few of the many. Oh I forgot smoothies!!
Kyle: What a spread!
Well that's all the time we have for this week, thank you for speaking with us!
Kate: Thanks for having me!!

Josh Izewski

Kyle: Hello Josh and thank you for joining us!
Josh: Hello Kyle. Thanks for having me.
Kyle: You've made quite an impression on the club over the last year. Many people have asked how you started up with us. So, what brought you to join our family?
Josh: Well, I've actually known about the club for about 2-3 years. The first time I considered joining was in the summer of 2015 when I was back in the area and contemplating retiring from triathlon..... So when I finally did retire in January of 2017. It was a no brainer to join an accomplished club that could help me on my journey to achieving my running goals.
Kyle: What a segue! Speaking of achieving running goals, the other thing everyone want to know about is that incredible half marathon performance you ran last month. Can you take us through that?
Josh: Well I toed the line and ran 13.1 miles haha. But the reality is that I would give the race a 'B' performance. The conditions were very cold, 24 degrees at the start, which made for a slow first half. We hit the 10k at 30:57 I believe and at that point I knew running my goal of 61:45 was out the window. After that I moved to the front and pushed to try to click off some consecutive low 4:40s, which was semi-successful. Over that time I lead until 12.5miles before an African made an move and put 50m on me, and in the last 300m I almost reeled him back in to take second place by 1sec. That race still bugs me losing by such a small margin. But for a first half marathon I can take a lot away from it and be happy and hungry for more.
Kyle: I doubt you'll find many people who have a first half marathon quite as impressive as yours, happy with it or not. What made you choose to shoot for marathon as your Olympic goal having never even run a half before?
Josh: I've always felt that I had a very large aerobic system and the marathon would be a good choice to progress toward. Plus it's just race I've always wanted to do haha.
Kyle: Do you have your first full planned yet?
Josh: Not officially yet but if I feel prepared in May I'll race Cleveland. Otherwise NYC or the US marathon champs in December.
Kyle: Let's back track a little. When did you first get into running?
Josh: I did my first 5k when I was 9 with my dad. But didn't really like it. I grew up from a very young age as a swimmer and never liked running. When I was in 10th grade I injured my back so I couldn't swim and decided to go out for XC. I ran pretty well that year and actually really liked running but still decided to stick to swimming. Then in 12th grade I committed to running and ran really well. So long story short I can thank my dad for always pushing me to run and he saw that I could be pretty good at it.
Kyle: Swimming background and a naturally good runner. Sounds perfect for triathlon. Is that primarily what you did at Florida?
Josh: Well I went to Florida to run and never did my first triathlon until 2014 after I graduated. But having a swimming background definitely gave me an advantage when I started out in triathlon.

Kyle: So you ran, did triathlons, and now are back to running. Think you'll ever get back in tri again?
Josh: Quite an interesting athletic history but idk if I will. If I went back I'd probably end up racing non-draft long distance, like Ironman, and idk if I'm ready for a marathon after 2.4miles of swimming and 112miles on the bike haha. So it's up in the air right now.
Kyle: How was your first Club Nats experience?
Josh: Club nationals was bittersweet. I loved being in Lexington with the team and getting to know everyone better, but as far the race goes I couldn't run as well as I wanted because of a nagging glute and hami. I'd love to prepare better, come back and race it as a primary race of the season. The best part of the weekend was spending time with everyone.
Kyle: What the next big event you're looking to run?
Josh: Nothing planned at this time. Just the long term goals of the marathons. Maybe the usatf HM championships in May. But nothing set in stone.
Kyle: Going with the flow. Aside from running what occupies your time?
Josh: I wish I had something interesting to say but outside of running I've been getting more and more clients for coaching and personal sessions. And then spending time with my girlfriend. No to exciting haha.
Kyle: Hey you're doing what you love. Can't complain about that. Well that's all the time we have for this week. Thank you for speaking with us!
Josh: Very true haha. Thanks and great chatting with you!

Tune in next time to see who we interview!!




Facebook Action
Morgan Shocked That Drunks Did Dumb Things in Hoboken



USATF-NJ Carefully Examines Thousands of Survey Feedback Forms for 2018 
Grand Prix Race Selection

Just kidding.  It's the same old races again. 


Not the Kind of Frequent Flier Miles You Want
Why do we still have this damned thing anyway?


We Wish You a Happy New Year, 
and Z-Mart Flashes How Many Bitcoins He Recommends You Buy in 2018









Don't Be Bored 
This Week.


We have team runs every day somewhere in New Jersey.  Or, post your run on a team FB page.  Always easier with a friend!


Team Track Sessions

Monday night (5:30pm), Wednesday Night (5:30) and Saturday Morning (9:45) at Highland Park HS.  Come out, enjoy the energy, and get your workout in!


Join Our GSTC 
Youth Team!


 



Pay Your 2018 Dues!
Look at what your season will look like 
if you do!
#BeLikeTahir







Buying or Selling a House?
Call or email our long-standing team member, Heather McDermott.  She is awesome and will do a great job helping you buy, sell, or rent a house, apartment, condo, etc.  Her contact information is here:

Need Some Physical Therapy?
Let's Get Ready for the Fall Season!

A friend of the GSTC, Dr. James O'Rourke is one of the area's leading sports physical therapists. As a competitive runner, Jim has acquired valuable firsthand knowledge about the demands of the sport. This experience has given him a comprehensive understanding of running related orthopedic injuries and pathologies. He specializes in running injuries such as plantar fasciitis, runner's knee, ITB issues, and shin splints.  With his hands-on approach, video gait analysis, and extensive experience with ART (active release techniques), he will have you back in action in no time! 





Follow us on 
social media!





(every weekly email since 2011)


adidas Garden State Track Club, 944 Herman Road, North Brunswick, NJ 08902
Sent by gardenstatetrackclub@gmail.com in collaboration with
Constant Contact

No comments:

Post a Comment