Sunday, December 16, 2012

(12/17-12/23): A Quote, A Top 10, and A Link

Quote of the Week
As we wrap things up for 2012, we present to you the lone Quote of the Week that, in many ways, epitomizes what the Garden State Track Club is all about.  It comes from Rob Nihen, as all runners at nationals had to present a paragraph to the USATF to collect their travel stipends.  Here is Rob's paragraph:

Completing a marathon is something that I have always wanted to accomplish in my running career.  This past summer, my initial plan was to run the 26.2 mile distance at the Philadelphia Marathon in November.  I felt that this would keep me motivated to train and race at a competitive level after recently graduating college and no longer having a team to run for.  However, running a marathon is a goal for the single runner.  A marathon runner runs for himself and to achieve a self-made goal. After joining the Garden State Track Club, and meeting other runners as dedicated to reaching their utmost athletic abilities as I was, I found a new motivation to train for – a team.  I knew that these new teammates of mine were putting in mile after mile on the pavement, killing track workouts, and making everyday sacrifices just like myself to run as fast as their bodies would take them.   They, too, had their own, personal goals.  But they also had a collective goal – to accomplish something special at the USATF Club Cross Country National Championship in Lexington, Kentucky. Because of that, I decided that this was something I wanted to be a part of.  I wanted to help my new team achieve its goals in the bluegrass state, and running a marathon myself was not going to allow me to do that. And although each of my teammates may not have accomplished their own individual goals, I know that my decision to forgo my spot on the starting line in Philly to run as a part of my new team in Kentucky was the right thing for me to do.

 


And with those words of wisdom, out with 2012, and in with 2013.....
Top 10 Benefits of Renewing GSTC Membership

10. An invitation to the GSTC New Year's Eve Party (email us back for details)  

9.  Great coaching by great coaches.  Greatness!

8.  Discounts on Road Relays, College Ave Mile, and Gorilla 5k races

7.  Endless spam emails and Facebook notifications (and we mean endless) 

6.  It's only $30.  I mean, like, whatever.

5.  We're the best club on the East Coast.  That's gotta be worth somethin'.

4.  Meeting awesome people!  Okay, maybe not everyone is awesome- but a solid 60% are.  Maybe even 65%.

3.  The peer pressure to run  more will help you get down to your college weight!  Well, almost.  Pretty close.  Shoot, just click the link below, okay?

2.  You may even find your soul mate here (additional $100 charge if that, indeed, happens)

1.  Two words: Tim Morgan.  Access to exclusive interviews, pictures, and stories we just can't make up of the running legend himself.



The best holiday present you can give yourself!


Next Week's Email: Voting for 2012 GSTC Awards

No comments:

Post a Comment