Monday, October 19, 2015

(10/19-10/25): 16 Wins in Two Weeks; USATF-NJ 8k XC Champs Up Next



THE WEEKLY EMAIL

The Cold is Upon Us

 Some Big Things 
Coming Up


Arrived: Uniforms
Please contact Joe Jacobs at Sneaker Factory Florham Park if you'd like a uniform, warm-up, etc.  Find him on Facebook or email him at joe@sneakerfactorynj.com.

10/25: USATF 8k XC

NEXT WEEKEND!!!!!

Our next team race, all-divisions championship, is the USATF-NJ 8k Cross Country Championships in Deer Path Park at 10am.   Circle it on your calendar........












11/6: UC Twilight 

For our speedsters, this Friday-night-under-the-lights is a great tune-up for the East Regions the following weekend in Philly.  There are two options: a 3200m or a 5k, the latter for those chasing the 82% PLP.  Read more about it here.   Oh, and it's FREE.


11/8: aGSTC Elite Clinic for Coaches & Athletes
For the first time, the aGSTC is hosting a clinic for New Jersey athletes and coaches.  Club elite athletes and coaches will be providing inside and outside instruction on jumps, throws, sprints, hurdles, and distance events at Highland Park HS.  Two notable instructors will be national triple jump champion Christina Epps 
and World 60m Champion Lisa Barber.


It's in less than a month
...please tell those who might be interested!  All proceeds will go directly to airfare, lodging, and gear for these elites as they prepare for the 2016 Olympic Trials this coming July.
 


11/15: East Region XC
For the first time, there will be a USATF East Region Cross Country Championship.  And the aGSTC is hosting the event down in Philadelphia's Belmont Plateau!

Teams from DC, NYC, PA, and NJ will be coming...get ready to rumble!!

***The speedy ladies will be racing here, not at the Harrington Park 5k on 11/14***

The USATF East Region Schedule
10:00am    Masters Women 5k
11:00am    Masters Men 8k
12:00         Open Women 5k
1:00pm      Open Men 8k




11/26: Ashenfelter 8k
This is the final "all-divisions" championship race of the year.  Thanksgiving morning.  Run your butt off, and then eat like crazy later on.



12/12: Club XC Nationals
San Francisco's Golden Gate Park will be hosting...your plane ticket should be purchased by now!  If you want to be in the Facebook conversation, let us know and we'll add you to the FB chat.


Kyle's Corner

Brendan James Conway. He's got tats, he's got a beard and a man bun, and he's got an addiction to distance running. His dad turned him in to running at an early age and from there it's been quite a ride for him. From great success at Ridgefield Park High School to a short but sweet career a Ramapo College and now an ever growing impressive list of accomplishments with GSTC, Brendan is doing what he loves, and loving what he's doing. Here's your chance to get to know him a little better. 

Kyle: Hello Brendan, thank you for joining us!
Mr. Conway: Hello! Thanks for having me!
Kyle: Let's start with the big news. Tell us about your marathon today!
Mr. Conway: Well, today I completed my 5th marathon ( Atlantic City ) since April 2014 and I ran my fastest time yet, running a 62 second PR and hitting a BQ again in 2:58:34! I signed up with 2 weeks notice and off of cross country training and a few 80 mile weeks and only 3 20 mile runs, 1 22 mile run, and some 15+ milers I was able to pull it off. I had no pressure since today was a fun race and was able to hold 6:35 pace for 20 miles, then kind of fell apart the last 6 but finished strong! Overall a great experience !
Kyle: Short notice, mild training, and a less then favorable finish and you still came out with a PR! That's awesome!
Mr. Conway: Yeah it was an awesome feeling going out and doing what I wanted to by going out in a fast pace, and trying to hold it as long as I could! Some people are mid distance guys, others 5k 10k, it's nice knowing that I am a marathoner at heart. My favorite race out there!
Kyle: You're a different breed then I sir. I assume you are looking towards Boston as your next since you hit a qualifying time?
Mr. Conway: Haha I get that a lot. Well, when I ran 2:59:36 at the NJ marathon last April I qualified but this September I completely messed up and didn't jump on top of signing up ASAP and it filled up and closed.. And although I was upset for a little bit, I've realized it's a good thing. I get to compete in track for the first time in 3 years since I was at Ramapo and now I have more than a year to prepare for the best marathon in the country and my #1 dream race. 
Kyle: The perfect set up. So how did you get into the marathon game?
Mr. Conway: My dad who runs for the Clifton roadrunners got me into running. A lot of people know him, Chris Conway. Anyway he ran in highschool but not college then when I was in 6th grade he started running to get in shape. I followed his lead and joined XC in 7th grade. He got into the competitive club scene and I also followed in 10th grade. He started doing marathons and ran pretty well for a guy who's now 55. Then in 2013 when I wasn't running at Ramapo and hurt, mentally physically drained from a burned out track season from overtraining I was in a bad place. Didn't run for a few months but then decided to sign up for the NJ marathon, almost forcing me to have to train. Ran 3:40.38 and loved it. Then I ran the Hambletonian marathon, Philly, and Jersey again, PR'ing by 15 minutes+ in every consecutive one. I then realized I might have a future In this. Many people wait till they're older to get into them, I'm happy I started at 21, and now at 22 years old I have some really big marathon goals.
Kyle: You certainly picked a long road to use for recovery.
..ok not my best joke..
So you have effectively PR-ed in every marathon you've run?
Mr. Conway: Haha good one. And yes, although I didn't PR by my usual margin today, and didn't race it like I did in Jersey, I still managed to pull it off. In Jersey I negative splitted in 1:29:50 1:29:46 , my last 10k was significantly faster than my first and I was able to really kick the last 2 miles racing against the clock and a BQ and went sub 6. Today I ran hard at a pace I haven't seen yet for the distance and just held on for dear life till the end. 
Much harder but like that cliche quote goes, pain is temporary, glory lasts forever.
Kyle: Don't forget chicks dig scars!
So are you hoping to train and be able to hold the pace you went out in today?
Mr. Conway: Lmao, well my goal for this year, well my first marathon in 2016 whenever and wherever that is is to break 2:45. Which is 6:15 pace.
And funny thing is at the liberty half marathon a few weeks ago I ran 6:29 pace overall, then today ran 6:35 for 20. Wasn't in top shape for the half but it just goes to show I really excel and do my best in the 26.2 distance. It felt almost pedestrian until mile 17. 
Kyle: Like I said, different breed.
How is the realization that you can have a legit track season this year settling in?
Mr. Conway: It's pretty awesome, being able to compete in XC for the first time in 3 year is awesome already so now I'll be able to focus and hit some track PRs I've set for myself. I gotta drop my 5k and 10k times. And I definitely wanna try and start training and test myself in the 3k steeplechase!

Kyle: YES!!!
I mean that sounds awesome. I love steeplechase!
Can you tell us a little more about your highschool and college running?
Mr. Conway: Absolutely! I was a mediocre runner in highschool compared to most people but I was good for my area, bergen county. My senior year I led my team, the Ridgefield Park Scarlets to an undefeated regular season, a win in every invitational we went to, and for the first time since 1983 a league title which I won individually and the first time In school history I won the county group C  title and led my team to the team win. We won county small schools team of the year. In track I won my league 2 miles and our sectional team was 2nd place. In the county meet I placed 4th in the 2 mile. I really became the tough runner I am from my coach who I coach along side now as an assistant, Dennis Murri. I only ran for Ramapo my freshman year but I improved vastly. Training seriously for the first time running 75 miles a week and being able to break my HS cross country PR and track 2 mile PR in the same race, with my best time of 26:50, a good time for a Frosh. In track I PRd in the 5k by 30+ seconds running 16:07 indoors and at that time I was running 80-85 miles a week. By the time spring track was underway I kept the mileage and intensity just as hard and couldn't break 16:45 once, and ended up running my track 10k debut in a miserable 36:10. The most embarrassing race of my life, ask Kyle Mahoney.... Haha but I learned from that and I train very smart now, I consider myself very motivated and although I may not be the fastest runner, I damn sure work harder than anyone I know, just my opinion. I love to embrace the grind and it gives me something to be very proud of.
Also shoutout to Coach Goglas who got me in the best shape of my life at Ramapo and taught me how to train hard as a serious runner. 
I also owe a lot to someone I consider a mentor and best friend who I befriended my freshman year of Hs and ended up running on the same team with at ramapo Pat Rochford, and another guy who helps me and looks after me Rich Byrne, if you don't know, one of the best runners in the area and someone who qualified for the Olympic trials in 10k his freshman year of college in sub 30 and at 40 years of age ran 2:19 in the marathon and qualified for the Olympic trials.
Sorry for the excess of info but highschool and college running taught me that looking up to the older talents around me wasn't just being a fanboy, it helped me develop and learn the methods they used and it helped me connect with some of the best runners I know.
Kyle: Quite an impressive resume! Championships, records, mentors, and lots of experience. I'm sure the kids you coach now look up to you.
Mr. Conway: That's the best part now, it's such a great feeling to help kids younger than me get fast and strong and love the sport as well. The kids looked OK in the beginning of the season and then every race surprised me and continued to improve a lot and just this Friday won the league championship for the first time since my senior year 4 years ago and also had an undefeated season. Seeing some kids going from actually wanting a JV medal to dropping 3 minutes and being a factor on the varsity top 5 is amazing to be a part of, couldn't be more proud of my squad. Derek Lewandowksi, a soph and also a member of the GSTC reminds me so much of myself, he's becoming such a track/XC nerd, haha which is a good thing. I consider myself a big track nerd, it helps. He's gonna be a big name very soon, keep an eye open for him.

Kyle: One last serious running question before the wrap this up. Why the man bun?
Mr. Conway: Haha I'm over that, too many people sporting it. If you've yet to see. I now do what, I don't think anyone that runs does, I cornrow my hair for my races. It is awesome. At least guys that is. Especially distance runners. 
Kyle: I can dig it. I'm all about standing out with your hair ha.
Well thank you for speaking with us!
Mr. Conway: Thank you for giving the opportunity! Now it's on to San Fran for both of us! Have a good one my friend. 
Kyle: Yessir!
Tune in next week to see who we interview!





Club Results


Three at Steamtown Marathon

Two GSTC masters competed in the Steamtown Marathon last weekend:  Ellen Patterson and Will Parker.  In her debut marathon, Ellen ran 4:21:47, and Will finished in 3:10:36, a Boston qualifier.  Will averaged 7:17 the first 18, and then 7:16 for the final eight.  With age comes patience and discipline, indeed!  

Dov Gertzulin was the club's top finisher, crossing in 2:51:29.  Although a bit short of his goal, it was a personal best.  He was 21st overall and 3rd in his age group, proving the power of the black and gold uniform

 
MD Returns: Wykoff 5k

It's been a long time, but Mark Domradsky is finally healthy and back in business.  On Saturday, he ran the Wyckoff Education Foundation 5k in 21:48, just north of 7:00 pace.  He finished 39th overall.  

Kunze 11th at Mohawk Marathon

Jarrett Kunze debuted in the marathon two weeks ago, running a very fine 2:43:31 at the Mohawk Marathon.  He ran it with a negative split, going through the opening 13.1 in  1:22:44, and coming back with a 1:20:49.  Averaging 6:15 pace, he finished 11th overall, winning his 16-24 age group.   

Aya Leitz also won her age group, running 3:16:31 (7:31/mile), equally running 1:38 for both halfs.  Her husband, Karl, ran 3:24:12 and qualified for Boston.



Chicago Marathon

Joe Singleton ran 3:02 at the Chicago Marathon last weekend.  He was hoping for a 2:55 or faster, so he was a bit disappointed with his performance.  Next time wear the GSTC jersey, Joe...it prevents the slowing down at mile 22!
 

Bolgert Races in Deutschland 

Peter Bolgert ran the Sebastian-Fredrich-Gedenklauf 10k today in Lübmin, Germany--the first time the GSTC uniform was showcased in Deutschland.  He finished 111th overall in a race that "featured the best athletes in the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern."  Whatever that means. 

This weekend, he finished 2nd at a the Rugenbrucken Half Marathon in 78:51.  After cruising the first seven miles at 6:16 pace, the Princeton doctorate student closed his final six in 5:49.  That is, of course, if Mike Anis' Tom Tom watch is accurate in Europe!

Rissell Wins Three Races...
In One Day

If only the club had a uniform for him to keep after the Liberty Waterfront Half Marathon, this picture would have been posted on every club publication for the next decade.  So, here was Ethan Rissell's Saturday at the races out in Bethlehem.  Please don't try this at home.

First, he won a tactical Runner's World 5k that started at 8:00am, as the leaders went 5:15-4:57-4:48; Rissell, left, won on a lean after an intense final 100 meter fight with a 15:49 winning time.

Seventy-five minutes later, at 9:30am, he came back and won the 10k in 33:21.  Rolling with the lead pack for the first 5k, he stormed the final three miles in 5:10, 5:02, and 5:01.  

That night, he ran the Emmaus Halloween 5k in 16:44, winning the race and prize money.

This is the first time any aGSTC athlete has won three events in one day--including sprinters, jumpers, throwers, and hurdlers.



Graves Wins, Sets CR 5k
Carmen Graves continues to pulverize the competition this fall, as the speedy steeplechaser ran away with the Atlantic City 5k.  She won in 17:01, beating 2nd place by
...
2:47.  Wowsers.  This was also the fastest time by any aGSTC women in the 5k distance.

Neyhart, Stetler Go 3-4 in 10k

Josh Neyhart blasted a personal best down in the Atlantic City 10k on Saturday, as the new resident of Highland Park averaged 5:04 a mile--finishing in 31:28, good for third and $100 in prize money.  Teammate Sean Stetler was right behind him, finishing fourth in 31:41.  



Eder, Salge Win EB 5k
Matt Eder 
ran 16:33 to easily win the East Brunswick 5k last weekend.  Three teammates snuck into the top six:  Wismith Francois 
(16:56) , Ryan DeGregorio (17:46), and Mark Parisen (18:27).

On the women's side, Nicole Salge won the race easily with a 19:18 effort, as teammate Christina Chafos was third in 21:25.

Price 2nd in EB 10k
In the East Brunswick 10k, Kyle Price 
finished second to a very fast Anthony Dentino.  Hoping to pick up an easy 500 points for the Grand Prix, Price finished in 33:01, well behind Dentino's 32:07 win.  Brian Weitz finished 6th in 38:27.


Tiboni Wins NP 5k
Hope Tiboni won the women's and overall race at the New Providence Education Fund 5k, as she 
out kicked 
Westfield's Joseph Vaszily with an 18:52 effort. Cherylann Dorsey won the 40-49 age group with a fine 21:37, good for 15th overall. 


Montgomery, Garafalo Win DR
John Montgomery continues his incredible season this fall, as the 49 year old ripped off another great race at the Shades of Death 6.66 mile Devil's Run.  Averaging 5:55 pace, he won the race in 39:29.  Ingrid Garofalo won the women's race averaging 7:37 pace to finish in 50:48.  We're pretty sure these are 6.66 mile club records, yet we are also pretty sure we aren't going to include 6.66 miles in the club record books!
 
Ancito Wins Two 5ks
Kim Ancito, aka Skim Ray, won back-to-back 5k's over the past two weekends.  Last week, she won her hometown race, Sayreville's Hit the Bricks 5k.  This Saturday, she won the PBL Breakfast Run in.    She won the former in 22:35 and the later in 

Minervini Wins Half Marathon
Mark Minervini 
has come a long way since joining the aGSTC two years ago, and winning a half marathon is certainly an indicator that shows just how far he's come.  Finishing in 81:07, he averaged 6:11 pace for the dubya.  He beat some random dude, Lubos Matejke, from Prague by twenty-four seconds.

Yuki Negoro finished 3rd in his 50-54 age group with a total time of 1:32:53, good for 7:05/mile.



Blickle, Sweeney, Kronin Rock 5k
Carl Blickle, the aGSTC's Olympic Development Athlete Coordinator, ran an all-time 5k personal best last weekend, as the Ursinus head coach lead the "Manna on Main 5k" from wire to wire last weekend.  He finished in 15:46, averaging 5:05 pace.

Just behind him were the superstar duo of Liz Sweeney 
(above) and Jenn Kronin
.  They were 2-3 in the race, finishing in  a very impressive 17:11 and 17:12, respectively.  They both will be suiting up for the USATF-NJ 8k XC Championships this coming weekend.
  

Price Wins Half Marathon

Kyle Price, dressed as Batman, flew away with the inaugural Halloween Half Marathon this Sunday in Morristown.  He rolled through the course averaging 5:48 pace, finishing in 76:04 for the win.  He is picture with teammate Kyle Brogan, left, who ran a personal best of 81:41.  His 6:14 paced effort was good for 5th overall.

On the right are Matt Storms (90:12) and Yuki Negoro (90:23), who finished just two spots apart.

Three GSTC ladies had great races, yet we don't have any good "in-uniform" pictures of them.  Maxine Mcinulty 
finished 2nd in her age group, as the mother-of-three crossed in 93:07--just ten seconds off her PR.  Merit O'hare ran 94:16, good for an age group silver medal, as well.  Jess Byrnes was third in her 35-39 age group, finishing in 96:00.


Ridgewood 3rd at SH
Iain Ridgewood finished 3rd in the Seaside Heights half marathon this weekend, as the #SouthEnclave member ran 78:50 in a windy, solo effort.  


Will and Ted's Great Adventure:
They Go 2-3 in Maplewood 5k
Ted Doyle and Will Alston went 2-3 in the Maplewood in Motion 5k this past weekend, as they ran 16:37 and 16:47, respectively.   Ted lives in town; we have no idea why Big Willy Style drove so far north!

GSTC Goes 4-5 in AC Half
Looking for a potential payday, two speedy GSTC'ers fell just short of cracking the top three in the Atlantic City Half Marathon this weekend.  Youssef Rochdi finished fourth in 68:27, while Shawn DeAndrea was fifth in 73:03.  

Brendan Conway finished 12th in the marathon, running a PR of 2:59:12

Douma, Tiboni Go 1-2 in Paramus 5k
Alyssa Douma and Hope Tiboni, shown above posing with team mascot Jaris Rousseau, finished 1-2 in the Terri Roemer Paramus 5k on Sunday.  Together at two miles in 11:50, seasoned Douma (18:26) eventually pulled away from Tiboni (18:42) to both earn plaques.  Rousseau won his sister's headband and a medal for his 17:05 performance, good for 7th place.  GSTC pole vaulter Elvis Cole broke 18:00, coming through in 17:55 as he begins toying with the 800m this indoor season. 
  

A Message from the President
Get us your gently used running gear ASAP!



 
2015 adidas GSTC
Fall Racing Schedule
10/25 USATF-NJ 8k XC Championships @ Deer Valley Park
11/8  USATF-NJ 10k Masters Women Championships
11/15 Garden State XC Invite @ Belmont Plateau (Philadelphia)
11/26 USATF-NJ 8k Championships
12/12 USATF National Club XC Championships @ San Francisco



Hello.

It's time to pay your 2015 Team Dues.
The club has many operating expenses that depend on membership dues.


***

Team Event This Weekend

USATF-NJ 8k Cross Country Championships

Deer Path Park  10:00am


Peter's Puzzler
Peter Bolgert is an esteemed member of the club who was on the DMR that won the club national title in 2013 for the aGSTC.  A former Marquette standout in the steeplechase, he is now halfway through a PhD program in the plasma physics department at Princeton University.  In hopes to raise the intellectual rigor to the club's weekly email, he designs weekly puzzlers to sharpen the wit, acumen, and intellect of the club...while wearing this onesey.


***WEDDING EDITION***
In the limo after the wedding, Ken and Cheyenne reflected on their big day.  

"Darling," says Ken, "Four years ago, you were 4/5 of my age, but in two years you'll be 5/6 of my age."  

"Shut up, poop head," says Cheyenne.  

What were Ken and Cheyenne's ages on their wedding day?  

(Disclaimer: I guessed the ages.  Might be a little off.)  





Anis Angle
 
Mike Anis is an aging cranky, albeit beloved and long-standing member of the club who takes great pride in his beard and his onesey.  In full transparency, we should probably also add he's never been asked to write an angle.  We just do it for him.


Look, I don't deal with ratios.  Either you want to buy a Tom Tom watch or not.  I can't sell 5/6 of a watch, so let's talk real numbers here.





Answer:
Answer: Cheyenne 28, Ken 34

 

 
aGSTC Runs
Type caption text here.
 
Check your Facebook Enclave group pages for regional group runs!  They are happening often now!

 
Quote of the Week

"I fully expect you to put me in the record books as the 9k XC club record holder.
"  -Peter Bolgert, via FB message, regarding his impending 9k XC race in Germany next weekend



Pictures of the Week
For those that know Coach Gagliano, one of NJ's famed track coaches who now coaches some of America's best middle-distance athletes, they might appreciate this picture from 1963.  He once coached my uncle, William Schneekloth, at Roselle Catholic.

Mike Anis decorates his living room with two prized possessions: Chasing the Unicorn plaque and his college degree.


Steady Striders
 
Do you run 9-12 minute mile pace on your runs?

Come join the aGSTC Steady Striders!  They have their own Facebook Group Page, coach, and group runs.  Email gardenstatetrackclub@gmail.com and we will introduce you to our two co-captains!



Forward this email



This email was sent to gardenstatetrackclub.adidasgstc@blogger.com by gardenstatetrackclub@gmail.com |  


adidas Garden State Track Club | 944 Herman Road | North Brunswick | NJ | 08902

No comments:

Post a Comment